Why Doing a Triathlon While Pregnant ROCKS

by TrainerMomma on May 2, 2011

A rundown of this weekend’s Windcrest Freshman Triathlon:

P4300043

Pre-race in the transition area.

1. People made a little extra space for me in the transition area. I must have the words “wide load” written on my forehead (more accurately my backside).

2. My number looked like a loin cloth when sitting under my belly. Totally attractive.

3. It was the least nervous I’ve ever been for a race in my life.  I have a ridiculous competitive streak that was totally dormant for this event.  I came in solid last in my age group and had the most fun I’ve had in a race — ever!

P4300047

My fearless friends Kristen and Katie. They did great!

4. I could eat my way through the race. I have so much cleavage and crevices, there’s always one more place to stash a protein bar.

5. The friendly and encouraging comments were nonstop:

“Go Number 100.5!” (I was Number 100)
“Let’s go Momma!”
“Looking good Two-for-One!”
“I admire what you are doing!”
“I told my husband to try to strap 20 lbs. to his front and then try to do this race!”
“Way to go for getting out here in spandex!”

P4300048

Tricia and I in the traditional muscle pic!

6. I could walk the entire run portion and not feel a hint of guilt.  I was able to appreciate all the fine landscaping and wreathes on the doors of the neighborhood we were “running” through. I got some really good ideas for our next house.

7. On my bike I had some serious momentum on the downhills. Twenty extra lbs really can add some speed!

8. I passed a grand total of ONE person.  I pushed past Mr. Khaki Shorts on the bike.  That one small victory was very sweet, I must say (I guess my competitive streak was somewhat active…).

2011-04-29 023

Alisa and I were the only two in the "Pregnant" category. She did an amazing job. The girl ran the entire 2 miles! Go girl!

9. I got to spend an entire morning with hysterical, talented friends, new and old. I haven’t smiled and laughed that much in who knows how long.

10.  My nausea, varicose veins, never ending increasing bra sizes, random lower back pain, limited wardrobe, and swollen feet were far from my mind.  I was just so happy to be there!  While I was digging through the water, flying on my bike, and waddling the last 2 miles, I could only think of what a gift this race was.  Happy Mother’s Day to me!

Plus, I got to see this sweet one at the finish line:

P4300051

Oh my. My friend Michelle made this triathlon onsie for her 3 month old. Have you ever seen anything cuter?!? Michelle nursed the baby poolside, did the triathlon, and finished strong. This beautiful girl slept throughout the entire thing!

**I am not recommending all pregnant moms to run out and sign up for triathlons. It worked for me because I did all of this tri stuff prior to becoming pregnant, I currently workout daily, and I’m only 18 weeks pregnant. Yes, my thighs do hit my belly on the bike, but I felt it was safe to do this little sprint at this point in my pregnancy.  As always, know your body, BE SMART, and ask your OBGYN if they think your plan is a safe one.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma’s RSS feed and the weekly TM Newsletter!

{ 23 comments }

1 Alisa May 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thanks for the fun again! I really had a blast and hope I am in Texas next year so I can do it again!

2 Gretchen Hokenson May 2, 2011 at 5:22 pm

How fun Tricia is my sister in law. It is a small world.

3 Kayla Ottley May 2, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Yay! That’s my niece! Congrats ladies!

4 TrainerMomma May 2, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Tricia is the best. She is such a happy, bright person — so positive!

5 TrainerMomma May 2, 2011 at 6:20 pm

What a doll. That onsie made me laugh out loud! How lucky you are related to Michelle!

6 Vennesa May 2, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Way to go! Good for you!
I was hoping for a shot of the loin cloth. :)

7 Amy Jo May 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Way to go!

8 TrainerMomma May 2, 2011 at 9:21 pm

We missed you this year, Amy Jo! Any triathlons in the near future for you?

9 TrainerMomma May 2, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I quickly removed the loin cloth before any cameras started snapping. It wasn’t pretty.

10 Kristen May 2, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Kudos to you for doing it pregnant Mandi!!! You rocked!! Thanks again for getting me hooked on the Tri…will you be coming up from Uvalde to do it next year??

11 Gen May 3, 2011 at 7:33 am

Way to go!!!! I bet you felt awesome afterwards!

12 TrainerMomma May 3, 2011 at 8:36 am

I plan on it — unless Uvalde hast their own tri (which they did on the same day this year). I feel like if that little community has their own I should support it. Hopefully they won’t overlap.

13 Laurie May 3, 2011 at 9:10 am

That is soooo awesome! I never really thought about a tri before and especially not while pregnant! You are an inspiration! Doing my 3rd half marathon on May 15th in Cleveland, Ohio…any words on tapering weight lifting while training for a half or whole marathon?

14 TrainerMomma May 3, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I would suggest about 10-14 days before the race to go a little lighter. The week before train only twice (Mon and Wed) just some upper body. Let the legs get ready to do their thing. Good luck!

15 Jillayne Tompkins May 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I ran my best 5K ever when I was 20 weeks pregnant. I was so surprised! I felt so good and relaxed during the run – which helped me achieve a goal I wasn’t necessarily shooting for.

Props to you! I would to that too if I had been ready for it.

16 Kimberly Packard May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Awesome! I had my first baby 8 months ago and just completed my first mini tri. It was a blast. I did the Ragnar Relay when I was 16 weeks pregnant with her and I’m certain the training helped me to get through that first trimester without throwing up. I just found your site and I’m SO excited to read through it!

17 Jill May 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Wahoo, you babe! You really look fabulous. I’m glad you had fun!

18 Ingrid May 3, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Awesome!!! You are inspiring.
I am scared to try a Tri without even being pregnant.
You look awesome and so happy.
Thank you for the inspiration!

19 Monica May 3, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Wow. I’m impressed. I’ve heard that if you run and stuff during pregnancy, your child is more likely to do it later. It’s like an addiction to the endorphins and stuff. Could have someone doing triathalons with you in a few years. :)

I just started running, so reading things like this is incredibly inspiring, when running that 1/4 mile seems tough.

Monica
runningirishdancer.blogspot.com

20 Brooke Harkness May 3, 2011 at 11:52 pm

I just found your blog and have been addicted the last few days. I’ve been reading all your old stuff and I love it!

You look amazing. The second I get pregnant I look like a linebacker and I work out every day!

The best line from this was “I have so much cleavage and crevices, there is always one more place to stash a protein bar.” Congrats on finishing the tri!

21 Ashley May 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I wish I had been there to go it with you gals. I miss my Texas friends!! Great job.

22 TrainerMomma May 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I miss you, my friend!

23 Camilla August 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for writing about your experience! I have been training for a tri for the past year, and 3 months after signing up for my race, we got pregnant. My race is tomorrow…and I will be 23 1/2 weeks pregnant! I enjoyed reading all your comments from your race and understand your feelings! I am very excited to just enjoy the race….and not feel pressured to be so competitive! :) Thanks again for sharing….

Comments on this entry are closed

Previous post: