Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies

by TrainerMomma on March 4, 2010

I have not lost it, I promise — these puppies are good.  I found it in Jessica Seinfield’s “Deceptively Delicious” cookbook (which was a disappointment in my opinion).  But, I tweaked this recipe to be a bit more healthy and it is a winner in our house.  The chickpeas add some fiber and just shrivel up and blend right in.  Even your husband won’t suspect a thing.

Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies
by www.trainermomma.com

adapted from Deceptively Delicious

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar free applesauce
2 large egg whites
2 tsp vanilla
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Exhibit A:
I did add the chickpeas.  I promise.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the ingredients and bake between 11-13 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

After a day refrigerate to store.  That is, if there are any left after a day.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.  87 calories per cookie.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma’s RSS feed and the weekly TM Newsletter!

{ 13 comments }

1 Orion's Mommy March 5, 2010 at 3:17 am

I have the same cookbook and found it disappointing as well, but these sound yummy and will have to try them soon!

2 Chiemi March 5, 2010 at 3:48 am

I so need to make these!

3 The Hedges March 9, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Made these today and Caleb can't stop eating them. Thanks!

4 Greg and Michelle May 11, 2010 at 12:13 am

I made these tonight for FHE, and didn't tell my hubby or son the "secret" and they loved them! :) Thanks for the great idea!

I also bought that cookbook, and was dissapointed too but I do like the idea of "hiding" healthy things into recipes.

5 Vennesa January 13, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I made these tonight. They passed the picky eater test. I gave some to my pickiest eater, but I handpicked cookies that the chickpeas weren’t so obvious in. Next time I’ll chop the chickpeas a little and that won’t even be an issue. My oldest said these are now his favorite cookies, he didn’t notice anything strange in them. 5 Stars Mandi!

6 Wilbur Beatson February 14, 2011 at 11:34 pm

high daybook you’ve gain

7 Kathy March 3, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Just curious why some of you were disappointed with Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook. Do you mind sharing why? Thanks!!

8 TrainerMomma March 3, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I guess I just had big expectations — and it left me wanting. First of all, the idea of cooking and blending all these vegetables and portioning them out, then freezing them — Whew. That got old after about two go arounds. I just couldn’t keep up. Secondly, taste! A lot of her main dishes or meals were very bland. Just a lack of spices and good taste. That’s just me. I do break it open occasionally, but most of the time it sits on the shelf.

9 jennycherie March 3, 2011 at 10:03 pm

So – did you just mix up in a regular mixer? I am not sure if I can resist the temptation to food-processor the chickpeas first!

10 Carrie Jefferies May 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm

How many cookies did you make with that recipe to equal 87 calories per cookie? A Dozen? Can’t wait to try this!!

11 TrainerMomma May 24, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Two dozen.

12 TrainerMomma May 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Yep, just in the regular mixer. They kind of shrivel up and blend in…

13 Nanoo Visotor September 16, 2011 at 11:14 pm

For the really brave, perhaps some totally Unsweetened chocolate chips. Ghirardelli is one brand. For the slightly less brave, bittersweet (about half the sweetener as in semi-sweet). Baker’s (Kraft) semi-sweet has less than 50% sweetener, which is less than many other semi-sweets.

Comments on this entry are closed

Previous post: