Print It, Use It! Upper Body Workout

by TrainerMomma on February 17, 2010

Well, it’s been about 6 weeks since the last Print It, Use It workout — so it’s time for a change.

The trick/frustration is that I can’t be there to demonstrate everything or explain my lingo. As you know, I am a stickler for form — thus the tutorials that I post (see here). My clients can attest that some of the most effective moves I give are a little — um — unconventional (sometimes a bit embarrassing… I have no shame). Yes, you will look ridiculous doing many of these things. Put your vanity on the shelf for a while, because we are going for results.

Do this once a week, and supplement twice more with your own lifting routines and cardio (of course!). Do this for 4-6 weeks, then its time to put it away, save it, and start something new.

**Important note: The weights listed on the workout are just a suggested starting point (or maybe something to work up to). This is the average of where most of my female clients lie — but definitely NOT the ceiling.

Also, this program is designed for a gym setting. For those of you Fit Mommas pumping iron at home, don’t be afraid to modify as necessary. I’ll try to cater to both groups as time goes on.

Instructions:
Print the document by clicking on “Print” in the upper bar.
To see a visual example on most (not all) of the exercises, click on the name of the move and it will link you to Trainer Momma demos.
Keep them in a notebook…. There are more to come!
Track your progress.
Shelf them for a while, come back to them.

Please, just shoot your questions and needs for clarifications my way.

Trainer Momma Upper Body Workout Feb. 2010

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma’s RSS feed and the weekly TM Newsletter!

{ 27 comments }

1 Through the Looking Glass February 17, 2010 at 9:07 pm

It is so awesome that you do this – and for free! I hope some sponsor out there plucks you from the web and showers you in cash. Seriously, you are helping people change their lives and I can tell you genuinely love what you do.

I've had a workout plan, one that consists of three different full body workouts that are used for 4 weeks at a time, that I've used since summer. I definitely feel comfortable with what I'm doing, so it looks like no better time for a change.

I'm printing out this and your last workout and going at it. Thank you so much for the wonderful you tube vids as well; must admit I was distracted by your rippling back muscles.

Note to self: Must get rippling back muscles asap…

2 Amy February 17, 2010 at 9:09 pm

I love, love, love your website! Thank you so much for sharing your tips, menus and all your knowledge with the world. You are awesome! I am doing my first sprint tri in April, and I am super excited. Your eating habits are helping me realize how much healthier I can be and it is really nice that you share these workouts, so helpful! Thanks so much. :)

3 Through the Looking Glass February 17, 2010 at 9:12 pm

One more thing: Would it be okay if I did this three times a week with leg days twice a week in between? I'm used to doing weights every day and working either my chest/back/core, shoulders/core, or legs twice a week each with my current routine. Would it be too little muscle confusion if I did this three times?

4 Trainer Momma February 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I would say mix it up and only do this one once a week. For instance: do this upper body workout on Monday, a lower body day on Wednesday, then the Full Body workout from January on Fridays. You really should be giving your muscles a break every other day. Just blast the cardio those days — then hit it hard on the weight days. Throw in the core and abs on all three weight lifting days, OR you can do abs/core on Tues/Thurs after you do your cardio.

You didn't mention bis and tris — don't forget those gals!

5 Trainer Momma February 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm

You didn't mention bis and tris — don't forget those gals!

6 Trainer Momma February 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm

You didn't mention bis and tris — don't forget those gals!

7 Christina February 17, 2010 at 9:54 pm

holllllaaa thank you!!!

k im confused-we can use this printout and do the WHOLE sheet mon/wed/fri with our interval cardio training tue/thur/sat right?

8 Trainer Momma February 17, 2010 at 11:05 pm

If it were me, I'd only use this sheet once a week. YOU DO NEED TO LIFT WEIGHTS 2-3 TIMES A WEEK. So, you use this one let's say on Monday, do your own lower body workout on Wednesday, then do the January Full Body workout on Fridays. This way you can mix it up. I'll be doing a lower body workout in 4-6 more weeks.

Does that make sense?

9 Trainer Momma February 17, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Does that make sense?

10 Trainer Momma February 17, 2010 at 11:05 pm

Does that make sense?

11 Through the Looking Glass February 17, 2010 at 11:39 pm

TM: Okay, so as it is I weight train 6 days a week and do cardio all six as well. This is my exact plan: Day 1 – chest, back, biceps, triceps, core; Day 2 – quads, hams, glutes; Day 3 – chest, core; then I start over for the last three days. Cardio every day, 30+ minutes.

What do you think is the benefit/downfall of doing weights every day but doing different muscle groups so they rest on off days? My gym is about 15 minutes away so I like to get the max bang for my buck when I go and not just do cardio and go home. I have really seen the best results in my body when I've focused a lot on weight training.

12 Trainer Momma February 18, 2010 at 1:23 am

If it works for you, do it. Technically, each muscle group needs 48 hrs before working them again. So you are being safe.

A few questions:

Why so much chest?

How long are you lifting weights each time?

In the end, if you are seeing results, I don't want to rock the boat!

13 Trainer Momma February 18, 2010 at 1:23 am

A few questions:

Why so much chest?

How long are you lifting weights each time?

In the end, if you are seeing results, I don't want to rock the boat!

14 Trainer Momma February 18, 2010 at 1:23 am

A few questions:

Why so much chest?

How long are you lifting weights each time?

In the end, if you are seeing results, I don't want to rock the boat!

15 The Ball Babies February 18, 2010 at 2:43 am

I think you're awesome and cannot wait to try this tomorrow morning! By the way, everytime I go to eat something, I think, "Would Trainer Momma eat this?" heehee – it keeps me motivated to be a "good girl" with my eating habits!

Thanks for all you do for all of us adoring fans! :)

16 Christina February 18, 2010 at 5:49 am

oooook hold up-the other one you gave was a FULL BODY workout–correct–so THAT one (the old one) we can do 3 times a week, then cardio the other 3 times a week–right? i am doing that for 5 more weeks–

THEN i can switch to this one for 6 weeks(which i NOW see is JUST upperbody)for mondays, lowerbody wednesdays, and abs fridays with my interval cardio the other three days–

now do i have it all figured out?!

17 Carolee February 18, 2010 at 1:19 pm

LOVE IT!! I printed it and now will be using it:)

18 Chiemi February 18, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Nice! Thank you!

19 stacie September 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I'm just trying out this upper body workout and wondering what I can do instead of static hang since I don't have a bar?

20 stacie September 1, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Those Mason Twist's you do are amazing! I never knew that move existed until now. My new goal is to be able to do those like you. How do you do it that fast? Should I sit on a pillow if I don't have a nice mat like that?

21 Trainer Momma September 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Hhmmm… No bar. If you have a resistance band that has a door attatchment then you can do lat pull downs with a static hold at the bottom ($12 for a good one — I will only use a SPRI, they are listed under my Favorites tab from Amazon). Or you could do bent over rows from my Basics video posted last Thursday. Both of those get your back.

BTW — those Iron Gyms are between $24 – $36 and totally worth their cost IF you have a doorway that can accomodate them. I am going to list those in my Favorites store as well.

22 Trainer Momma September 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm

23 Trainer Momma September 1, 2010 at 8:40 pm

24 Trainer Momma September 1, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Stacie — If you don't have a mat, then use a folded towel or yoga mat. If the pillow isn't too fluffy you should be fine. I often just do mine on the carpet and don't worry about it.

25 Trainer Momma September 1, 2010 at 8:41 pm

26 Trainer Momma September 1, 2010 at 8:41 pm

27 Augusta Greenwell February 14, 2011 at 11:33 pm

This post seems to recieve a good ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It gives a nice individual spin on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to post about is the most important thing.

Comments on this entry are closed

Previous post: